★ 广告位 -------------- 空缺中
☆ 天津 神秘博物馆 实体店
☆ 御车族-福州兵人模型店皇冠金牌店
查看: 9520|回复: 16

[分享] 英文网站FIGURES.COM采访 Hottoys 头雕师Joseph Tsang

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-4-21 08:04 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
BBICN 上海旗舰淘宝店

The name Hot Toys has become synonymous with hyper-realistic, movie-accurate one sixth scale collectibles. Any serious collector will tell you that these are not simply toys, but treasured pieces of art. While Hot Toys is a collaborative team effort, one of the artists responsible for helping create these collectible masterpieces is master sculptor Joseph Tsang. If you're a Hot Toys collector, the chances are very good that you own several of Joseph Tsang's amazing creations. His résumé includes creatures and characters from some of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made; from Aliens and Predators, to Edward Scissorhands, Rocket and Groot. If you have one of these figures (full list at the end of this interview), go grab one now. Then kick back, relax and read on as we find out more of the man behind the monsters...

FIGURES.COM: What led you to become a sculptor?

JOSEPH TSANG: When I was 7 years old, my neighbor gave me a comic book by Mr. Ma Wing Shing, a famous comic book artist in Hong Kong. His comics were very cinematic and filled with great action which sparked my interest in drawing. After graduating from secondary school, I entered the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts and major in applied arts, study drawings, sculpture, material applications and special effects. At that time, I was deeply into the sculpture works of Michelangelo and Rodin and had been in love with creating sculptures ever since.

FIGURES.COM: What are some of your past sculpting accomplishments before joining Hot Toys?

JOSEPH: After graduating from the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, I was invited to be a Art Director at a well-known design and production company. The work involved creating sculpture and art pieces for many theme parks and museums such as Disneyland, Parkview Hotel in Singapore, National Taiwan Museum, Hong Kong Heritage Museum and more. In those 8 years, I had the chance to have artistic exchange with designers and artists from many different countries, and such opportunities made me understand more deeply how art is an important aspect to cultural life.

FIGURES.COM: You’re currently a sculptor at Hot Toys. Please tell us about how you came to work with them and what it is you do?

JOSEPH: I have always liked sci-fi movies such as Star Wars, Alien, Predator, Avatar, etc. and surreal stories. During my personal time, I like to work on my own art projects. One time by chance, Mr. Howard Chan, the founder of Hot Toys, saw my work and we quickly started our collaboration. I also started my own workshop to become a figure artist.

Although most of my works are action figures, I actually like to create diorama statues a little more, such as the AVP Requiem Predalien VS Predator. When making an action figure, you can only sculpt the character in a neutral standing position, but for diorama statues, you need to capture the character’s action at a certain moment while fully displaying the specific expression, energy, and atmosphere. That is the most interesting part and also the most difficult.

FIGURES.COM: What projects are you working on now? What do you have planned for the future?

JOSEPH: Many Predator fans have sent messages on Facebook asking when the next Predator figure will be announced, and for sure I will continue to work hard to create more Predator figures. But at the same time I also wish to be able to put more time in the future to work on original design projects and let fans collect works that will carry my distinctive art style. Here is my Facebook Page where I will share more of my projects with you all (https://www.facebook.com/josephtsangdart ). Thank you for your support in advance.

FIGURES.COM: Toy making technology has really come a long way in recent years. Do you find modern modeling programs such as ZBrush and Freeform replacing traditional sculpting methods? Is there a happy medium?

JOSEPH: In recent years, the digital sculpting and 3D printing technology has developed rapidly and become more common. Digital sculpting is more efficient than traditional sculpting and will slowly replace it in the market, but I think if traditional sculptors can fully utilize the distinctive style and feeling of clay sculpting to create high artistic value works; it can bring new standards to the sculpture field. For example, traditional paintings are still high in collection value in comparison to digital paintings.

For the future of the toy industry, I think customers can easily create figures of themselves with 3D printing at a reasonable price and with good quality. This will put more pressure on toy makers to make better quality products. When every company is able to acquire 3D scanning and printing hardware that is on par with each other, it will definitely make the competition become more intense. However, right now, many 3D printing products can only create something that captures the shape and structure but feel very lifeless. If a good figure artist can create a figure that feels very life-like, that will definitely be a key to success.

FIGURES.COM: Who are some other sculptors you really admire or like and why?

JOSEPH: When I was young I was very into the works of Michelangelo and Rodin, it was extremely impressive and fascinating how they could turn marble into life-like statues. Another artist that I admire the most is the famed Japanese artist Mr. Takeya Takayuki. His works are very detailed and highly creative. I can get many inspirations from his creations.

FIGURES.COM: Given the opportunity, which licensed property would you like to sculpt characters from and why?

JOSEPH: I like the Engineer from Prometheus. His role is very important to the Alien universe and if there is a chance, I would love to work on this character. I also look forward to Prometheus 2 and see how the story continues.

FIGURES.COM: Do you collect toys and if so what are some of your favorite collectibles today and why?

JOSEPH: I collect many pieces by Mr. Takeya Takayuki, the Spawn series by McFarlane Toys, and, of course, I also collect Hot Toys. In my eyes, they are not toys but art. By being a part of this industry, I truly understand the process of creation is not easy and it takes many people’s efforts together to create a good product.

FIGURES.COM: Thank you so much for your time and keep up the amazing work! Any parting words for our readers?

JOSEPH: I would like to say to all readers, “Dream on. Do what interests you, and follow your dream!”

Joseph's impressive body of work for Hot Toys includes:
DMS 01 Elder Predator On Throne Statue
DMS 02 Predalien vs Predator PRE-PAINTED DIORAMA KIT
MMS 38 ALIENS - 16 inches high Alien Warrior Model kit
MMS 47 ALIENS - 16 inches high Alien Warrior model kit (REPAINT VERSION)
MMS 55 AVP-R - 18 inches PredAlien Model Kit
HTB 05 Alien 1:4 Bust
MMSV03 Alien Big Chap Vinyl Collectible Figure
MMS 74 AVP - She Predator- MACHIKO collectible model kit -HOT ANGEL
MMS 77 Alien 3 - 16 inches DOG ALIEN collectible figure
MMS 80 IRON MAN - 12 inches MARK I collectible figure
MMS 82 Edward Scissorhands collectible figure
MMS 106 Alien - 1/6th scale BIG CHAP collectible figure
MMS114 King Leonidas collectible figure
MMS 117 T2 - 1/6th scale T800 collectible figure
MMS 122 Clash of the Titans - 1/6th scale Perseus Collectible Figure
MMS 130 Berserker Predator Collectible Figure
MMS 133 Ghost Rider Limited Edition Collectible Figurine with Hellcycle
MMS 137 Falconer Predator Collectible Figure
MMS 140 Batman Begins - Demon Batman & Scarecrow
MMS 147 Predators Tracker Predator Collectible Figure with Hound
MMS 152 Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure
MMS 154 Shadow Predator Toyfair Exclusive
MMS 159 Avatar Jake Sully
MMS 162 Predators: 1/6th scale Classic Predator Collectible Figure
MMS 163 Predators: 1/6th scale Noland Collectible Figure
MMS 165 Spiderman3 Black Suit Version Diorama Base Sandman
MMS 173 Predators 2: 1/6 scale City Hunter
MMS 186 The Avengers: 1/6th scale Hulk Limited Edition Collectible Figurine
MMS 190 AVP- Scar Predator
MMS 200 Man of Steel- Superman
MMS 221 Alien VS Predator - Celtic Predator
MMS 228 The Avengers Chitauri Footsoldier and Commander Collectible Figures Set
MMS 230 The Avengers - Bruce Banner & Hulk (Regional Premium Edition)
MMS 233 Predator 2 - Elder Predator
CM04 Storm Rider Cloud
MMS250 AVP Ancient Predator
MMS254 Guardians of the Galaxy Rocket & Groot
QS004 Little Groot

A huge "Thank You" to Joseph for taking the time from his busy sculpting schedule to do this interview. Keep up the awesome work and bring on more Aliens! For more on Joseph Tsang and his work, check out his facebook page, as well as on HotToys.com.hk and their facebook page.

- Interview by Jeff Saylor

上一篇:关于2015 中国国际模型展(北京)- Solderstory 会场版【定价 & 限购】通知
下一篇:Ace Toyz 新品: 1/6 Mr. Vin & Mr. Walker
发表于 2015-4-21 08:22 | 显示全部楼层
看不懂英文
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 08:25 | 显示全部楼层
换言之就是这厮除了普通人类的头雕不搞 其余魑魅魍魉是得心应手
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 08:29 | 显示全部楼层
这样的重口味我是接受不了
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 08:30 | 显示全部楼层
看不懂英文
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 08:40 | 显示全部楼层
Mr.Poetaster 发表于 2015-4-21 08:25
换言之就是这厮除了普通人类的头雕不搞 其余魑魅魍魉是得心应手

让你说对了,呵呵
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 09:35 | 显示全部楼层
这鸟人是华人吧,粤语的姓貌似是汤或者唐,难道说中文名会死啊?尼玛,这厮正常人类不够,魑魅魍魉,山精水怪倒是信手拈来啊!
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 09:45 | 显示全部楼层
看着像亚洲人
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 09:51 | 显示全部楼层
白衣卿相1208 发表于 2015-4-21 09:35
这鸟人是华人吧,粤语的姓貌似是汤或者唐,难道说中文名会死啊?尼玛,这厮正常人类不够,魑魅魍魉,山精水 ...

他哪里得罪了你而让你如此爆粗口?
我要说一句 收起回复
发表于 2015-4-21 10:28 | 显示全部楼层
ZIP 发表于 2015-4-21 09:51
他哪里得罪了你而让你如此爆粗口?

好吧,不小心溜出了一个脏字,没注意,下不为例。只想说的是,第一、既然是华人,能不能把名字另外标注一下中文名,其他事英文就不管了;第二、这家伙塑造的山精水怪、魑魅魍魉很有水平,就是不塑造正常人,这不是贬义吧?Z大的火气怎么这么大?
我要说一句 收起回复
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|bbs.bbicn.com ( 粤ICP备20066041号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 08:13 , Processed in 0.154065 second(s), 25 queries .